Black Swallowtail (Papilio Polyxenes)
The Black Swallowtail Butterfly is also known as a parsnip swallowtail or American swallowtail. It belongs from the Swallowtail (Papilionidae) butterfly family. Here in this article, you will see this Black Swallowtail Butterfly facts, Life Cycle, And Images.
The scientific name of this butterfly is Papilio Polyxenes and it is found everywhere in the North America. This Papilio Polyxenes butterfly is the state butterfly of the Oklahoma and New Jersey.
Black swallowtail butterfly facts
- The average wing span of this butterfly is 6.9–8.4 cm.
- Black Swallowtail Butterfly has black upper surface wings with orange spot at center.
- They have a yellow spot on the black wings and also blue spot between the row of yellow spots.
- The Male butterfly has a yellow band near the edge of wings and female has a row of yellow spots.
- Papilio Polyxenes butterfly Females wings are hindwing with the iridescent blue band.
Black swallowtail life cycle
- The female butterfly lay pale yellow eggs on leaves and flower of the host.
- The caterpillar has an orange color forked gland and its known as the osmeterium.
- This butterfly young larvae is mostly has a black and white skin.
- After some day larvae get the green color with black bands and yellow spots.
- Black Swallowtail pupae have a green or brown color.
- Eggs stage: 9 days
- Larval stage: 10–30 days
- Pupa stage: 18 days.
- The life cycle or stages of this butterfly are depending on the temperature and the species of the host plants.
This Black Swallowtail Butterfly is mostly found in the southern Canada through to South America and North America. They are habitat for the rocky mountain, open areas, fields, parks, marshes, and deserts. They generally prefer to live in tropical temperature.
They are feed on the Nectar from flowers like red clover, milkweed, and thistles.
Black swallowtail butterfly images
I hope you like this article. If you like this Black Swallowtail Butterfly information and images then please share this article with your friends and family. You can also give your review in below comment box. Thank you for visiting our site.